Following are some useful guidelines to avoid common mistakes, while submitting TDS return:
Incorrect reporting of 197 Certificates:
Please refer to the following guidelines for correct reporting of 197 Certificates:
- The Certificate Number should be of 10 digits with Alpha-numeric structure. Please refer to the following examples:
- Correct Format 1111AA111A
- Incorrect Format: 1111AA111A/194C
- Certificate Number should be valid during the period for which it is quoted.
- The Certificate Number should be for the same PAN, Section Code and Section Rate for which it has been mentioned in the statement
- Threshold limit Amount of the Certificate should not be exceeded.
- Please ensure that the Certificate is not expired. Please refer to the following illustration:
- Lower deduction Certificate under section 197, issued in April 2013 (e.g. Certificate Number-1) stands cancelled by Assessing Officer on 10/11/2013.
- A fresh certificate Under Section 197 (e.g. Certificate Number-2) is issued with effect from 11/11/2013.
- Deductor quotes Certificate Number-2 against the transactions recorded during the period from 01/11/2013 to 10/11/2013 in Q3 TDS statement.
- Deductor should have quoted Certificate Number-1 for the transactions conducted till 10/11/2013.
Common errors resulting into Short Payment Defaults:
- Typographical errors committed by deductor, in reporting the date 20032014 in the Tax Deducted column.
- Total of Amount Paid / Credited reported in the Tax Deducted column of the statement. This results into short payment and Deductors need to ensure that the TDS/TCS Deducted/Collected amount should be equal to TDS/TCS Deposited Amount.
The above mistakes are illustrated below:
Amount Paid/ Credited
|1,55,000.00||1,55,000.00||15,500.00||Wrong TDS Deducted Amount|
|2,20,420.00||20032014.00||22042.00||Date mentioned in the TDS Deducted Column|
Actions to be taken:
- CIN Particulars (BSR Code, Date of Deposit and Challan Serial Number) mentioned in the TDS return should exactly match with the CIN Particulars as available on Challan Status at www.tdscpc.gov. in or Challan Status Enquiry at www.tin-nsdl.com
- For BIN (Book Identification Number), the particulars (24G receipt number, Date of transfer voucher and DDO Serial Number) mentioned in the TDS return by the Govt. Deductors should exactly match with the BIN Particulars as available on Challan Status at www.tdscpc.gov. in or BIN View at www.tin-nsdl.com
- Amount of Tax deposited pertaining to different BINs/ CINs should not be clubbed together while reporting in the TDS return.
- Few other common mistakes in reporting dates are as follows:
Actual Date of Deposit
Date of Deposit mentioned in TDS Statement
|07/01/2014 (7th Jan, 2014)||07/01/2013 (7th Jan, 2013)||Wrong Year (2013 instead of 2014)|
|07/01/2014 (7th Jan, 2014)||01/07/2014 (1st July, 2014)||Wrong Date Format (MM/DD/YYYY)|