What information do I need, to register myself in the ITD e-filing website?
Answer: The basic information required is: PAN, Full Name, Date of Birth/Incorporation, Communication Address, valid e-mail id, Mobile number and Digital Signature Certificate (if applicable). For persons other than Individuals, in additional to the above mentioned information, PAN details and contact details of the Principal contact are required.
What happens if I don’t register?
Answer: Without Registration, the user cannot e-File the Income Tax Return. Also, additional services like Viewing 26AS Statement, status of Income Tax Return, File Rectification, Refund re-issue request, etc cannot be availed. The registration needs to be done only once.
Should Registration be made in the name of the Company or can a director register in his/her name and file the Income Tax Return of the company from his/her User ID?
Answer: No. A company’s PAN is required to be registered on ITD e-filing website for uploading the Income Tax Return of the company. The same applies for Firms, LLP, AOP, BOI, Local Authority, Trust, Artificial Juridical Person and Co-operative society.
What do I do next after registration?
Answer: After registration, ITD will send an activation link on the registered email ID of the taxpayer. Once the taxpayer clicks on the link, the User ID of the taxpayer becomes functional. Now, the taxpayer can login into ITD e-filing website. Therefore, taxpayer is advised to provide a valid e-mail ID during registration process.
In case, taxpayer has entered the wrong email-id during registration and taxpayer is not able to activate the User ID, what is to be done by taxpayer to activate the account?
- Click on the ‘Resend Activation Link’ found on the Login page of e-filing website (click ‘Login Here’ button under Registered User section on the right hand side of the home page).
- On the page, select the User type and enter details like PAN, Date of Birth/ Incorporation, Password and new e-mail ID. Note: In addition, a Chartered Accountant needs to enter the Membership Number and Enrollment Date.
- The Activation link is sent to the new e-mail ID. Click on the Activation link. If you do not click the activation link, the registration process is incomplete.
What should I do when the authorized signatory (Principal Contact) assigned in e-Filing application has changed?
Answer: You can assign the new authorized signatory (Principal contact) in e-Filing application. LOGIN and GO TO ‘Profile Settings’ → ‘Update Principal Contact details’, and update the PAN and Contact details of the new principal contact. On submission, the details are updated. To update the DSC of the new principal contact, GO TO ‘Profile Settings’ → ‘Register Digital Signature Certificate’.
What is e-Filing of Income Tax Returns?
Answer: Filing of Income Tax returns is a legal obligation for every person whose total income for the previous year has exceeded the maximum amount that is not chargeable to Income Tax under the provisions of the I.T Act, 1961. Income Tax Department has introduced a convenient way to file these returns online using the Internet. The process of electronically filing your Income tax returns through the Internet is known as e-filing of returns.
How is e-Filing different from the regular filing of returns?
Answer: E-filing offers convenience of time and place to tax payers. This facility is available round the clock and returns can be filed from any place in the world. It also eliminates/ reduces interface between assessee and tax officials. The procedure of e- filing is explained under Help section → e-Filing.
What are the steps in brief to upload the Income Tax Return on this website?
- Visit ITD e-filing website https:\\incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- On homepage, GO TO ‘Downloads’ section and select applicable Income Tax Return Form of the relevant Assessment Year OR Login to e-Filing application and GO TO ‘Downloads’→’Income Tax Return Forms’ and select applicable Income Tax Return Form of the relevant Assessment Year.
- Download the excel utility of the Income Tax Return (ITR).
- Fill the excel utility and Validate.
- Generate an XML file and save in desired path/destination in your desktop/system.
- LOGIN to e-Filing application and GO TO → e-File → Upload Return.
- Select the Income Tax Return Form and the Assessment Year.
- Browse and Select the XML file
- Upload Digital Signature Certificate, if available and applicable.
- Click ‘SUBMIT’.
- On successful upload, Acknowledgement details would be displayed. Click the link to view or generate a printout of Acknowledgement/ITR-V Form.
What do I need to do post uploading the Income Tax Return?
- If the Income Tax Return is uploaded with DSC (digitally signed), on generation of “Acknowledgement” the Return Filing process is complete. The return will be further processed and the Assessee will be notified accordingly. Please check your emails on these notifications.
- If the return is not uploaded with a DSC (digitally signed), on successful upload of e-Return, an ITR-V Form will be generated. This is an Acknowledgement cum Verification form. A duly verified ITR-V form should be signed and submitted to CPC, Post Bag No.1, Electronic City Post office, Bangalore-560100 by Ordinary Post or Speed Post (without Acknowledgment) ONLY, within 120 days from the date of e-Filing. On receipt of the ITR-V at CPC, the return will be further processed and the Assessee will be notified accordingly. Please check your emails on these notifications.
What is the ‘Pre-Fill’ button in the Excel Utility and how can I use it?
Answer: The ‘Pre-Fill’ button in the Excel utility helps the taxpayer in pre-filling Personal and Tax information as available with Income Tax Department. To pre-fill, Login to e-Filing application and GO TO → Downloads → Download Pre-filled XML to the desired path/destination in your desktop/system. Open the Excel utility (ITR) and click the “Pre-fill” button. This will require you to select the path/destination where you have saved the XML and click OK. The details will be uploaded into your utility. You may edit the tax details, if needed).
If I have paid excess tax, how and when will it be refunded to me?
Answer: To claim the excess paid tax, the assessee has to be file Income Tax Return, irrespective of the fact whether the income is taxable or not. The amount of refund will be remitted to the assessee either through cheque or directly to the bank account as mentioned in the ITR form after the processing of the return.
I have forgotten my password. What is to be done to retrieve it?
Answer: Click on the “Forgot password” link on the homepage of ITD e-filing website. In the ‘Forgot Password’ page, enter your User ID and Captcha Code, and click ‘Continue’. Select one of the below options on the next page:
1) Answer Secret Question- Enter your Date of Birth/Incorporation and answer the secret question, OR
2) Upload the Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) which is registered on e-Filing application.
Click Submit. On successful submission of request, a new system generated Password is sent to your registered e-mail ID. LOGIN to e-Filing web-site using the system generated Password. On first LOGIN using this password, you are prompted to change the Password. Enter a New Password according to the format prescribed and SUBMIT. Please note that your password cannot be the same as your three previous passwords.
Can a LEGAL HEIR e-File the Income Tax Return of the deceased assessee?
Answer: Yes. A Legal Heir can file Income Tax Return, View Status of Income Tax Return, ITR-V Acknowledgment and other filing status in respect of the Income Tax Return of the deceased person for the e-Filed Assessment Year.
The Assessing Officer (AO) designation and code as per ‘Know your PAN’ is different from my Jurisdictional AO.
Answer: Please apply before the jurisdictional Assessing officer to initiate the process of acquiring PAN by Jurisdictional Assessing Officer.
How can taxpayer find his Assessing Officer (AO) Code?
Answer: GO TO ‘Know your Jurisdictional A.O.’ under ‘Services’ menu on the home page of ITD e-filing website. Enter your PAN and know your Jurisdictional AO.
How can I come to know about TAN of my deductor?
Answer: Kindly refer to Form 16 or Form 16A issued by the employer for the TAN. You can also see the details of deductor in the 26AS Tax credit statement made available by the NSDL in its website, which can be easily accessed through ITD e-filing website.
How do I know whether my e-Return is being processed at CPC Bangalore or the Assessing Officer?
Answer: The taxpayer is advised to LOGIN to the website and GO TO ‘My Account’ → ‘My Returns/Forms’ and check the status of Income Tax Return for a given Assessment Year.
Is it mandatory to file return of income after getting PAN?
Answer: No. The liability to file return of income is governed by different set of parameters laid down in the Income Tax Act 1961.
Who can file the return for a deceased assessee?
Answer: A legal heir can file the return in such case.
How can I assign myself as a LEGAL HEIR for a deceased person?
Answer: To register as a Legal Heir, the deceased and the requester should be registered in the e-Filing application.
Below are the steps for registration of Legal Heir:
Step 1 – LOGIN to e-Filing application and GO TO → My Account → Register as Legal Heir.
Step 2 - Provide details and attach a zip file containing the documents (a copy of the Death Certificate, a copy of PAN card of the deceased, self attested PAN card copy of Legal Heir and Legal Heir certificate).
Step 3 – Click on the SUBMIT button.
Step 4 – The request will be sent to the e-Filing Administrator.
Step 5 – Requester should send a hard copy of the Death Certificate, a copy of PAN card of the deceased, self attested PAN card copy and Legal Heir certificate to the CPC- eFiling Administrator, Post Bag No. 12, Electronic City Post office, Bangalore- 560100 within 30 days.
Step 6- On receiving the documents, the e-Filing Administrator will review and approve and a confirmation e-mail is sent to the registered e-mail ID.
Once assigned as a Legal Heir, can I e-File for the deceased person for compulsory DSC cases?
Answer: Yes. You should register your Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) in e-Filing application, if not already registered. Once registered, use your DSC to file for the deceased person.