TDSMAN Blog

smart & easy software for eTDS & eTCS returns

How to Download TDS Certificate in Form 16B?

Government has made it mandatory w.e.f 01.06.2013 on buyer of property to deduct TDS @ 1% on payment made after 01.06.2013 if Purchase Consideration of the Property exceeds Rs. 50 Lakh.

Deductor can pay such TDS by any of the following mode:-

Either make the payment online (through e-tax payment option) immediately or make the payment subsequently through e-tax payment option (net-banking account) or by visiting any of the authorized Bank branches. However, such bank branches will make e-payment without digitization of any challan. The bank will get the challan details from the online form filled on www.tin-nsdl.com.

Once the Payment is made now the dedcuctor is required to issue TDS certificate in form 16B to the seller of the Property. Now the question is how to prepare or from where deductor can get such certificate for the purpose of issue to the seller? Answer is deductor can download such certificate from Traces website and issue to the seller.

Procedure to Download TDS certificate in form 16B is as follows:-

1. Login to:

2. Click on Register New User and you will be asked to provide basic details such as your

• PAN
  • Date of Birth
  • Last, Middle and First Name and would also be required to further validate details of either tax deducted (option 1) or tax paid by you (option 2).

3. On Validation of details, your account will be created.  User ID by default would be your PAN, You would have the option of providing Pass word of your choice.  A email would be automatically generated providing you an activation link with a second code being text on your mobile.  Having activated your account, it is now ready to be used.  Services currently available are view 26AS statement and down load Form 16B in case you are the buyer of immovable Properties.  May be in near future you are able to download your Form 16 or 16A also through this window.

To download form 16B, go to download, click on request for form 16B, validate details and submit your request.  After some time the same shall be available under download menu. Click on download, click of available and download and save it your computer.

Print, sign and deliver it to the seller.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail
  • Sachin says:

Thanks for such detailed procedure.
    I followed all the steps in the given manner and downloaded the Form 16B which is in zip file. Now when I try to extract the file from this zip file it asks for encrypted passoword. Can you please help on this? How to get that password?

November 20, 2013 at 1:05 pm
    • Nishikant Gupta says:

Thanks for such detailed procedure.
      I followed all the steps in the given manner and downloaded the Form 16B which is in zip file. Now when I try to extract the file from this zip file it asks for encrypted password. Can you please help on this? How to get that password?

May 23, 2014 at 10:38 am
      • Ram Kumar says:

Your date of birth in DDMMYYYY format is the password…

June 17, 2014 at 7:41 pm
  • Gurumurthy Viswanathan says:

Hello

I am not able to log into the TRACES website for the past many months.
    Everytime i log in i get the message ‘ Site not available due to technical reasons’. Please help. I need to issue Form16B to by Property Seller. thanks Gurumurthy

January 5, 2014 at 4:13 pm
    • TDSMAN says:

Dear Sir,

Please contact TRACES for this issue.

January 8, 2014 at 11:55 am
    • DRK says:

TRACES is in-accessible from outside India.

February 7, 2014 at 5:02 pm
    • Manoj Sahoo says:

If your Internet Server is outside India, TDSCPC is assuming you as NRI and diverting to NRIservices link. Please use internet having its server in India, You can access TDSCPC. Or contact your IT to change Internet configuration.

June 19, 2014 at 10:38 am
      • Prithvi says:

I am unable to login from my MNC office computer because of this, despite being in India.
        This is such a stupid idea! TDS CPC should provide both the logins in the home page, so that both types of users can login, without depending on what the internet service provider is.

July 3, 2014 at 12:58 pm
  • Ravi Kumar says:

Dear sir

Could you please provide the contact nos. for us to call and check with the tds cpc office

Regards

Ravi Kumar

January 14, 2014 at 6:39 am
    • TDSMAN says:

Contact numbers of TRACES:

Toll Free – 1800 103 0344
      Phone – 0120 4814600
      Email id – contactus@tdscpc.gov.in

January 14, 2014 at 5:51 pm
  • NIKHIL JAIN says:

SIR , HOW MUCH PROCESSING TIME IT WILL TAKE TO CHANGE THE ” SUBMITTED ” STATUS TO “AVAILABLE” STATUS? KINDLY REPLY AS EARLIEST AS POSSIBLE

January 27, 2014 at 7:06 pm
  • Gireesh Thampy says:

I am not able to enter my password for new registration. When the characters cross 8 digits it says invalid. How do I register myself in?

January 28, 2014 at 11:21 am
  • Anand Prakash says:

I am a NRI. I have made payments for purchase of a flat that is under construction. I deducted TDS against payment of some amount to the builder in Aug 2013. I need to send a signed copy of form 16B to the builder. I am NOT able to access the site from outside India – everytime I get message ” Site not available due to tecgnical reasons”. where as one of my friends tried accessing it from India and he found no such problem. Is the site in-accessible from abroad ? If so then how do I submit the form 16B to the builder ?

January 29, 2014 at 1:09 am
  • HARDIK PATEL says:

HOW TO EXTRACT 16B ZIP FILE [PROPERTY TDS]

February 6, 2014 at 11:32 am
    • Ram Kumar says:

Just do a fast double click with mouse on the file name in Windows Explorer/My Computer or single click the file and click the “Enter” key in keyboard.

June 17, 2014 at 7:47 pm
  • V K Khanna says:

Recently, I have deducted TDS on purchase of an immovable property worth more than 50 lacs. As per the IT Amendment Act 2013, purchaser needs to deduct 1% TDS on such transaction and also issue form 16B. The steps told by you says that after depositing TDS with the ITD, form 16B can be downloaded only from TRACES website. But when I am trying to register at the website, it is showing invalid details as my date of birth/incorporation register with Income tax department is 01/01/0001 which is at practical terms invalid date. But with the same date, I am already filing my returns for the last several years.

My problem is that my seller is not giving me credit of TDS deposited with ITD till the time I issue form 16B.

Please tell me the solution.

February 15, 2014 at 12:33 pm
    • RANJEET says:

Sir,

Please fill the date from the calendar given on the right side of the field or fill in the format as 01-Jan-2001. It will definitely accept.

September 10, 2014 at 10:19 pm
  • Hitesh says:

Hi,

Me and my brother have entered into an agreement to sale on Dec 12, 2013 and had paid the vendor some token advance. Now we have fixed our registration date as Feb 24, 2014 where the sale deed would also be entered. In form 26QB, when I key the agreement date as Feb 24, 2014 and the payment to vendor date also as Feb 24, 2014 it doesn’t accept saying the date cannot be future date.
    Now my query is this- Should I wait till Feb 24th morning and make the remittance and then go for registration, since the sub-registrar will not accept to register unless we show the TDS payment challan. Or should I key the date of agreement and date of payment to vendor as Dec 12, 2013 and make the TDS dating the current date.
    Appreciate if you could help me on this.
    Thanks,
    Hitesh

February 16, 2014 at 12:33 am
    • Nitin says:

Sub-registrar doesn’t ask for TDS proof. You can pay the submit the TDS after the registration.

April 22, 2014 at 12:49 pm
    • RANJEET says:

Sir,

Payment will be allowed only on or after the execution date. As, in your case, it is 24th Feb. Please go to complete the formalities after 24th Feb (Within one week).

September 10, 2014 at 10:22 pm
  • SUKSHAM ARORA says:

I AM SUCCESSFUL IN ACTIVATING MY ACCOUNT BUT NOW WHEN I TRY TO LOG IN GIVING PAN AS MY USER ID , PASSWORD AND PAN , THE SITE SHOWS INVALID DETAILS

February 17, 2014 at 5:16 pm
    • Ram Kumar says:

Did you enter the “Captcha”?

June 17, 2014 at 7:49 pm
  • aneesh ahmad says:

i have recieved the Mutual funds redemption payment and dividend amount on MF. They are tax free but where i have to show entry for these while fling ITR?

February 17, 2014 at 5:45 pm
  • G M Palkar says:

Dear Sir,
    I have paid tds from property on 18/02/14. But still today also I am not able to create user id by providing pan number, DOB, Name & chalan details. What may be the problem? Please help.
    Regards,
    Palkar

February 22, 2014 at 6:40 pm
    • Ram Kumar says:

What error message did you get?

June 17, 2014 at 7:52 pm
    • RANJEET says:

Dear Sir,

Normally, the error message comes: -

Details entered by U do not match with the details available with Income Tax department. Please try to fill the data of any additional tax deposited by u thru challan. Please fill the correct mobile no. and email ID. The password will be arriving on that for validation of your data entered.

September 10, 2014 at 10:28 pm
  • Sumit jain says:

Dear,

On 13.03.2014, i made the TDS payment of 1% against the flat that i have purchase from builder. but when i am going to login new user on traces to get form 16B, it shows invalid details.
    Please help me

March 17, 2014 at 1:00 pm
  • JANARDHAN V says:

I am not able to open the Form 16B. It is asking for a password. Which Password I should use

March 22, 2014 at 10:16 pm
    • Raghavendra says:

April 12, 2014 at 2:13 am
      • Nikhil Kelkar says:

Thanks for this quick hint, DDMMYYYY does work as the password for the zip file.

June 2, 2014 at 4:00 pm
  • Ankit says:

April 5, 2014 at 4:16 pm
    • Raghavendra says:

Try using your Date of Birth in DDMMYYYY format, if not try using the PAN number. Let me know if it helps.

April 12, 2014 at 2:15 am
    • Molly says:

Password to open the Zip folder of 16 B is Date of Birth of the Buyer in DDMMYY format.

April 12, 2014 at 12:47 pm
  • Anushree says:

I recently purchased a property and uploaded form 26QB and deposited the tds deduction through Bank. Now when I try to register as a new user with TRACES for downloading Form 16B with my Pan Card details it shown my first name, surname or middle or date of birth is incorrect whereas I am using the same names as appeared in Form 26QB through ITD Pan Master. Date of birth is the same as appearing on the Pan Card. What is the solution?

April 16, 2014 at 3:41 pm
  • Nikhil Manchanda says:

Hi,
    I have registered on the traces website ( NRI website) and can view the form 26AS . When I open it , I can see details of the property tax paid (online challan through bank) . But I cannot see the option to download the form 16b . What could be the problem ? Could anyone please help

April 26, 2014 at 3:08 am
    • Krishna says:

Same problem I am facing, Not able to see any form 16B download form, I have mailed at ‘contactus@tdscpc.gov.in’, let’s see if it helps.

May 11, 2014 at 9:35 pm
    • Ashish says:

Hi,

did you got the option to download form 16b as I also not getting it.

pls reply

May 13, 2014 at 9:31 pm
    • Anuj Garg says:

Hi Nikhil,

I am also experiencing the same problem. If you found the solution to your problem, please share with me.

May 22, 2014 at 4:51 pm
    • Ram Kumar says:

You have to wait for 15 days.

June 17, 2014 at 7:53 pm
  • Apriya says:

I am trying to register as new user & it is asking TAN number ,do I need TAN number for registeration , if so how can I obtian it ?

May 8, 2014 at 3:00 pm
    • Ram Kumar says:

It’s not asking for your TAN number… It’s the deductor’s.

June 17, 2014 at 7:55 pm
    • M T says:

if you are a deductor only you need a TAN no , else you could create a user account unsing your PAN number

July 7, 2014 at 5:06 pm
  • anuj garg says:

hi, i am a nri and i have paid my tds. i am not able to find 16b link on traces site. please help.

May 12, 2014 at 5:31 pm
  • SQA Kazmi says:

I also have same problem. After depositing the amount through form 26BQ, I received the challan from the bank. Now I am unable to register because it says the inforation is not correct, without giving details of which information.
    The website and the process is very user-unfriendly. Clear instructions and help are not provided.

May 14, 2014 at 2:14 pm
  • nancy goyal says:

Not able to generate form 16B .For registration it calls TAN number. i am not having TAN no.Those who have generated 16B can help me.many users are facing similer problem.can income tax department resolve the issue for all

May 20, 2014 at 3:20 pm
    • Ram Kumar says:

The TAN number is deductor’s and not your’s.

June 17, 2014 at 7:56 pm
  • Chandra Sekar says:

Is there any way to merge form 16 Part A with Part B? Please advice

May 29, 2014 at 7:08 pm
    • M T says:

You can use any pdf merge utility like adobe acrobat pro, if you dont have TDS filing softwares like winman TDS.

July 7, 2014 at 5:03 pm
  • Amit says:

I get the following message when I try logging into the website (from India). Can somebody help?

TDSCPC services for NRIs is available through https://nriservices.tdscpc.gov.in/nriapp/login.xhtml . Kindly register and access TDSCPC NRI services through same.

June 3, 2014 at 4:03 pm
  • Vinay says:

I have registered to TRACES sucessfully using the NRI link

But I dont see any option to download Form 16(b). I have already paid TDS for 3 installments I have paid to my builder.

What do I need to do to enable the link to download Form16b?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

June 9, 2014 at 2:59 pm
    • Ram Kumar says:

Wait for 15 days after paying TDS.

June 17, 2014 at 7:57 pm
      • P V says:

@Ram Kumar: Can you please help? My 15 days are over since I paid the TDS yet I cannot see anything on the TRACES website. I am accessing the NRI link.

August 22, 2014 at 8:30 pm
    • Ram says:

Hi,
      I registered through TRACES NRI website and paid TDS 1st week of Jul-14. Even today (14-Aug-14), i do not see option to download Form 16B on TRACES. Though in Form 26AS, it reports the TDS details i paid. Any help on this is highly appreciated. Thanks!

August 14, 2014 at 10:41 pm
  • Srinivas D says:

Hi , I cant able to download Form 16 . When I click download the from 16 all the blanks are empty .

Previously I got Form 16 , but in that address was wrong .

June 12, 2014 at 3:49 pm
  • Shraddha Raman says:

I have few cash certificates with two banks where the interest has crossed Rs.10,000/- p.a. The banks have not informed me about TDS deduction. They deducted it on renewal consecutively for three years. Now I have come across the same and want the same to be refunded back to me as my income is not taxable I canot get a refund/benefit.
    Should I ask the bank for the TDS cerificate and Cash Certificate Interest Certificate and what is the process for the same and also please inform regarding the refund process.

July 1, 2014 at 4:42 pm
    • M T says:

You will have to file your income tax return and get a refund

July 7, 2014 at 5:01 pm
  • Aishwarya says:

Is there a way for me to edit Form 16B. Basically I dont see any details in Part 1 of the form and the builder sayd that the TDS does not show against their account and PAN. They have also shared a sample and they are right. How can I get this rectified. It shows the amount against Part 2 of form 16B. But 0Rs against part 1.

July 8, 2014 at 7:50 pm
  • Shraddha Raman says:

How can I file for a income tax return adn what is the process and procedure.

July 11, 2014 at 1:31 pm
  • Mahesh says:

I was also frustrated with TRACES account setup then friend of mine recommend Delhi based info@dtits.net. They were amazingly helpful and setup my account on 5 mins.

July 13, 2014 at 10:40 pm
  • Sid says:

How can I file for a income tax return for the tax paid for this 1% TDS on property purchase? what is the process and procedure and which Sahaj Form to be used?

July 15, 2014 at 11:25 pm
  • Ravi says:

Im not able to see the Form 16B download option.I called the call center and they suggested to send the screen shot to contactus@tdscpc.gov.in.
    Hope they respond soon.

July 24, 2014 at 2:00 pm
    • P V says:

@Ravi: Did you hear anything? I am facing the same problem as you did.

August 22, 2014 at 8:31 pm
  • Rohan says:

Hi, I am trying to login and able to download 26AS. However, I dont see any link that allows to submit request for form 16B. I am accessing NRI link of trace. Please let me know what I am missing. I created my account as tax payer. Please advice.

July 27, 2014 at 8:18 am
    • P V says:

@Rohan: Did you hear anything? I am facing the same problem as you did.

August 22, 2014 at 8:31 pm
  • Rahul says:

Has anyone got any reply from contactus@tdscpc.gov.in.
    I am also on the same boat, trying to access form 16B from TRACES site from outside india. I am able to download 26AS but I don’t see any option for form 16B. Please help ??

July 30, 2014 at 8:46 pm
    • P V says:

@Rahul: Did you hear anything? I am facing the same problem as you did.

August 22, 2014 at 8:32 pm
  • sanjiv says:

It is necessary to submit the signed form 16 B to seller , the TDS amount must be appearing under 26 AS of seller.

July 31, 2014 at 3:31 pm
  • Karunakar says:

I have registered with TRACERS but I cant find any option available for downloading form 16b for TDS I have paid. can you guide me how to download this form

August 3, 2014 at 10:59 am
  • A K Asthana says:

I have tried to register as new user using the link provided. But it asks for TAN details. Whether to deduct tax on Housing Properties, buyer have to obtain TAN. If so, what about the tax already submitted using PAN details of buyer and seller.

August 8, 2014 at 1:22 pm
  • MJ says:

I noticed that my last name had to be “LastName FirstName”. Had to figure this out after lot of trail and errors…!!! Good luck folks.

August 9, 2014 at 11:08 pm
  • Shiv says:

Hi,
    I am NRI and I am creating new user account in Traces from abroad.

1) PAN no. should be mine or company from which i have bought property?
    2)What is TAN of Deductor for NRI?
    3)Types of Deduction? 1)TDS Salary 2)TDS Non Salary 3)TCS
    4)TDS/TCS Amount in rupees

August 19, 2014 at 4:21 am
  • Abhay Tidke says:

I have completed my 15 days after paying my TDS on property however still not able to get link to download form16B. I am using NRI link.

Kindly help !!

August 23, 2014 at 3:45 pm
    • RANJEET says:

Dear Sir,

Unfortunately, the link of Form 16B download is not available in NRI Link so far. Please send user ID and password to any Indian friend/ relatives in India with the details of form26AS (Ack No. and PAN of seller of property) to download the same.

It will be in WinZip and PDF format which can be extracted by using WinRAR software also (All Window & onward OS has).

September 10, 2014 at 10:31 pm
  • Arindam says:

Hi,

I am facing a similar problem as many others accessing the NRI link for TDS, in this forum. I have paid TDS and can download 26AS. However, I do not see any link that allows me to submit request for form 16B. I called up the call Centre and they said that currently the NRI site does not have the option of Form 16B. Is anyone aware as to why it would be blocked for NRIs? And if so, why is the builder asking us to furnish 16B? can’t they use the details in 26AS alone? Any information will be much appreciated.

August 24, 2014 at 12:09 am
    • RANJEET says:

Dear Sir,

Sir,

September 10, 2014 at 10:32 pm
  • K Chandran says:

I have been faced with the same problem viz., registration, as others in registering with TRACES for the last over one year. I have found that, neither talking to their CC nor e-mailing them in this regard, as an exercise in futility. It is the case of one, pretending to be sleeping.

While in India, I was unable to register. Now I am in US and I am taken to the nri site of tdscpc.gov.in. And while I am able to register from here and get a message that registration is successful with Traces, I get a mail after a while, saying “authentication failure”. On taking up with contact@tdscpc.gov.in, I get only a stock reply seeking details. On furnishing the requested details, including the screen shots of details provided at the time of registration, we are back to square one, as we get the same standard stock reply back again.

Earlier, one could view / print / save ( in XL or PDF format ) Form 26AS w/o any problem but today it is not possible. Now it has become impossible from here.

I need the Form 16B for my son, to be submitted to the buider. And I feel helpless. I am at a loss now, as from whom / whom, I have / need to seek help for resolution to the problem.

Today, though we are much better of, with most of things being online, things which earlier / hitherto had been been made easier like Form 26AS, have become rather difficult now. Instead of simplyfying the things / procedures further, they have become / been made more difficult.

We have now come a long way, with dispensation of most of the manual things. But, what is required now is streamling things in a better and organised way. The need of hour is prompt resolution of the problems addressed and more sensitiveness to the specific requirements and problems faced by the tax payer.

I do not understand the need for registration with TRACES and TIN NSDL, once we are registered with ITD for online filing of I Tax return etc.,

There is a need for progressive steps to make things simpler for the tax payer.

We can see from the plethora of mails in this regard for over an year or may be almost 2 years, nothing seems / appers to have been done in the interim. It is really a sad state of affairs.

August 26, 2014 at 2:24 am
    • RANJEET says:

Sir,

The problem of registration at TRACES is very common and is being faced by almost 90% people.

The thumb rule is that if U have already deposited some amount as advance/ self assessment tax thru challan, it will be easy to register thru that.
      But, still the download of form 16B will be from India only which can be done by sending the user ID, password and the details of ack no. for Form 26QB (For TDS on property) and PAN card no. of seller.

September 10, 2014 at 10:36 pm
  • amit says:

For NRI’s, FORM 16b will be only available if they ask someone to login from indian location, nri website doesn’t have links for form 16b, so only option is to get into local indian network.

Hope this helps.

September 17, 2014 at 3:21 am
  • Ashok Mehta says:

On Traces website, it asks for TAN details, which individuals do not have. So, I tried to log on to incometaxindia website. On that site, I am not able to get “Request for Form 16B” option under Downloads. Can you help in this regard??

October 7, 2014 at 10:37 pm
  • Mona Gupta says:

I am an individual who has paid TDS @1% of the property I purchased. I am not able to download FORM16B as while doing validation I can’t fill the details of the Challan number (5 digit) as I had paid the TDS online through my Bank account. Please clarify from where do I get this challan number?

October 13, 2014 at 2:00 pm