CPC (TDS) has issued an advisory communication in which it has stated about the release of a new feature on TRACES where a Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) can be used for availing various services offered by TRACES.
The issued communication has been given below:
The Centralized Processing Cell (TDS) has released a new feature on its web-portal TRACES, where a Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) can be used for availing various services offered by the portal.
You are advised to take note of the following key information in this regard:
- Under Information Technology Act, 2000, a “Digital Signature” means authentication of any electronic record by a subscriber by means of an electronic method or procedure in accordance with the provisions of section 3.
The Digital Signature keeps record of the person who is availing the facility.
- Please exercise caution in use of Digital Signature and should not be shared in any circumstances. If shared, the person using DSC shall also be liable to consequences.
- In accordance with the Information Technology Act, 2000, every subscriber shall exercise reasonable care to retain control of the private key corresponding to the public key listed in his Digital Signature Certificate and take all steps to prevent its disclosure to a person not authorised to affix the digital signature of the subscriber
- TRACES has provided facility for Admin and Sub-users to facilitate authorised Sub-users to carry out activities on TRACES and submit to the Admin user. The Admin user has the rights to approve the activities using the DSC.
- It is therefore, advised to refrain from using the Digital Signature of any person other than the Authorised Person appointed by the deductor, for carrying out any activity on TRACES.
Please note that the “Authorised Person” is referred to as “Person Responsible” in accordance with Section 204 read with Section 200 of the Income Tax Act, 1961 and other relevant provisions for deduction of tax.
CPC (TDS) is committed to provide best possible services to you.
CPC (TDS) TEAM