Steps to be taken in case of TDS mismatch

      3 Comments on Steps to be taken in case of TDS mismatch

Even if the credit for TDS as claimed in the return matches with the balance as appearing in the Form 26AS, Assessing Officer may still raise a demand for payment of differential amount due to TDS mismatch. The reason for such differences could be as under:

(1) TAN of deductor was wrongly mentioned

(2) Name of deductor was not spelt correctly

(3) Tax deducted by one deductor wrongly included in the amount of tax deducted by another deductor

In case of such TDS mismatch, an assessee can file a rectification request.

Steps to file the rectification request:

(a) Login to your account in

(b) Go to My Account > Rectification request

(c) You need the following to fill in the required details:

(i) PAN

(ii) Assessment Year

(iii) Latest Communication Reference Number (it starts with CPC/Assessment Year/)

(iv) Latest CPC Order date

(d) Click on Validate to go to next step

(e) On the next screen, choose ‘Taxpayer is correcting data for Tax Credit Mismatch Only’ from the drop-down box of ‘Rectification Request Type’

(f) Check from the following relevant boxes for which taxpayer is seeking rectification:

(i) TDS on salary details

(ii) TDS on other than salary details

(g) Fill in all the relevant details including details of tax deducted and reported in the return of income filed earlier

(h) Click on the button of ‘Submit’ to submit the rectification request.

The TDS mismatch may also be due to error in TDS return filed by deductor. In such a situation, you should intimate the deductor about such error and require him to rectify the TDS return

3 thoughts on “Steps to be taken in case of TDS mismatch

  1. Madhushree Lele

    Hello I need some help. Request someone to explain me what is the CPC number and where can I find it as I need to raise a grievance for mismatch in Section A of 26AS.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *