What is Form 26AS?
It is a form issued under Rule 31AB, wherein the following information in relation to a PAN is published:
- TDS – Part A & A1 of Form 26AS
- TCS – Part B of Form 26AS
- Details of tax paid other than TDS / TCS – Part C of Form 26AS
- Details of Refund – Part D of Form 26AS
- Details of AIR transactions – Part E of Form 26AS
From which Assessment Year (AY) can I view my Form 26AS on TRACES?
You can view your Form 26AS in TRACES from AY 2009-10 onwards.
How is Form 26AS important to a deductor and tax payer?
The TDS / TCS deducted by a deductor is reflected in Form 26AS of the respective PAN and this helps in identifying any discrepancy / error. Although deductor cannot view Form 26AS for a PAN, they can view the TDS / TCS deducted / collected by them.
The credits available in the tax statement confirm that:
- The tax deducted / collected by the Deductor / Collector has been deposited to the account of the government
- The Deductor / Collector has accurately filed the TDS / TCS return giving details of the tax deducted/collected on your behalf
- Bank has properly furnished the details of the tax deposited by you
- In future, you will be able to use this consolidated tax statement (Form 26AS) as a proof of tax deducted / collected on your behalf and the tax directly paid by you along with your income tax return, after the need for submission of TDS / TCS certificates and tax payment challans along with income tax returns has been dispensed with by the Income Tax Department (ITD)
What is the period for which Form 26AS is generated?
Form 26AS is generated annually, for a Financial Year.
Who can view Form 26AS?
Only a registered PAN holder can view their Form 26AS on TRACES. Form 26AS can be viewed from FY 2008-09 onwards.
What is booking status in Part A of Form 26AS?
The various booking status available in Part A of Form 26AS in are:
- F – Final
- When payment details of TDS / TCS deposited in banks by deductors match with payment details mentioned in the TDS / TCS statement filed by deductor, status is displayed as Final (F)
- O – Over booked
- When payment details of TDS / TCS deposited in bank by deductor have matched with details mentioned in the TDS / TCS statement but the amount is over claimed in the statement, status is displayed as Overbooked (O). Final (F) credit will be reflected only when deductor reduces claimed amount in the statement or makes new payment for excess amount claimed in the statement
- U – Unmatched
- When payment details mentioned in the statement by deductor cannot be matched or found in OLTAS / banks, status is updated as Unmatched (U)
- P – Provisionally Booked
- In the case of Government deductors who make book entry for TDS / TCS payment, details are updated in G-Oltas by filing Form 24G. When the Government deductor files TDS / TCS statements and mentions BIN details and these do not match with G-Oltas data, status is updated as Provisionally Matched (P)
How can I correct if the name and address details given in Form 26AS are incorrect?
You can get the Data corrected by applying in TIN for changes or correction in PAN Data. This request can be made either online or through the existing network of TIN-FCs.
Can I download my Form 26AS statement?
Yes. Form 26AS statement can be downloaded either as PDF / text / excel file. If number of records in Part A / Part B is less than 20,000, Form 26AS can be downloaded as PDF / excel file or viewed as HTML on the screen.
For records greater than 20,000, Form 26AS cannot be viewed as HTML and it also cannot be downloaded as PDF / excel file. You have to download Form 26AS as a text file.
What should Tax Payer do in case details of tax deducted are not appearing in Form 26AS?
Details of tax deducted will appear only after submission of TDS statement by the corresponding deductor. In this case, deductor should be approached to ensure filing of TDS statement with correct PAN.
What if entries in Form 26AS that do not pertain to the deductee?
The respective deductor should be approached for filling correction statement. In case of advance tax / regular tax / self-assessment tax, the jurisdictional AO may be approached for necessary correction.
Whether name and address of Tax Payer can be changed in Form 26AS?
Tax Payer details (name and address) in Form 26AS are reflected as per PAN database. For any change, please submit change request application for PAN (Form 49A) at www.tin-nsdl.com.
What is the password for opening Form 26AS?
The password for opening Form 26AS will be your Date of Birth (in DDMMYYYY format), e.g., if your date of birth is 01-Feb-1980, password will be 01021980.