One can avoid defaults in the TDS statements, by way of adherence to the following basic principles:
• Timely Payment of total taxes deducted/ collected
• Correct Reporting with regard to PANs, Tax Rate and Challans
• Complete Reporting for all Deductees
• Timely filing of TDS Statements
One needs to understand the different reasons & types of TDS Defaults and steps to avoid getting defaults notices.
Summary explanation is as under:
• Late Payment Defaults:
• Short Payment Defaults:
- All the taxes deducted must be deposited with challan 281 quoting correct TAN, Assessment Year, Minor Head etc.
- Challan details/BIN details quoted in the statement should be correct. Challans can be validated by using Challan Status Inquiry(CSI) file. Correct details can also be verified at TRACES in “Challan Status” menu under “Statement Status” after login.
- There should not be any difference in the amounts quoted in “Deducted” and “Deposited” columns of the deductee rows.
- Challans quoted in the statement must have balance available for consumption against specified deductee rows. Available balance can be verified at TRACES in “View Consumption Details” under “Statements/ Payments” menu after login.
- Government Deductors need to report Book entry flag as “Y” in challan details.
• Short Deduction Defaults:
- Taxes must be deducted at correct rates specified in the Act. The Rate table can be accessed at TRACES for correct tax rates.
- Correct flags (A, B, C, T and Y) must be raised for no deduction/ lower deduction/ higher deduction, as appropriate.
- The PAN for deductees must be valid and correct. TAN-PAN Master can be downloaded from TRACES and be used to file statement to avoid quoting of incorrect and invalid PANs.
- Correct and valid 197 Certificates must be specified. E-tutorial can be referred to for the purpose of validation.
- For 24Q statements, correct flags should be raised for Woman/ Man/ Senior Citizen/ Super Senior Citizen deductees, as may be appropriate.
- DTAA flag “B” must be raised under section 195 of the Act, at the time of filing 27Q statements.
• Late Deduction Defaults:
- Taxes must be deducted at the time of Payment or Credit, whichever is earlier.
• Late Filing Defaults: