Introduction of Section 87A -Income Tax Rebate

51 Comments on Introduction of Section 87A -Income Tax Rebate

A new section 87A by Finance bill 2013 has been introduced for Income Tax Deduction of Rs. 2000/- for Assessment Year 2014-15. This rebate can be availed Tax payer/Assessee under section 87A. It is necessary to read clauses 19 and 20 of the bill to make it more clear-

Clauses 19 and 20 of the Bill seek to amend section 87 and insert a new section 87A in the Income-tax Act relating to rebate of income-tax in case of certain individuals.

The proposed new section 87A seeks to provide that an assessee, being an individual resident in India, whose total income does not exceed five hundred thousand rupees, shall be entitled to a deduction, from the amount of income-tax (as computed before allowing the deductions under Chapter VIII of the Income-tax Act) on his total income with which he is chargeable for any assessment year, of an amount equal to hundred per cent of such income-tax or an amount of two thousand rupees, whichever is less.

Consequential amendments have been proposed in section 87, so as to provide reference to proposed new section 87A.

Note:

• These amendments will take effect from 1st April, 2014 and will, accordingly, apply in relation to the assessment year 2014-15 and subsequent assessment years.
  • Rebate is available only to individuals
  • No rebate to Non Resident.
  • If the total tax payable is less than Rs. 2000/-, rebate is restricted to total tax payable┬Ł.
  • Rebate benefit is not applicable to a super senior citizen, since he is already fully exempted up to Rs. 5 lakh.
  • Above amendment does not mean that basic Exemption Limit has been raised from Rs. 2,00,000/- to Rs. 2,20,000/-.
facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

51 comments on “Introduction of Section 87A -Income Tax Rebate

1. vijay sharma

1. GAURAV SINGHAL

Dear Vijay Sharma. Rebate of rs 2000/- u/s 87A is allow on Total income upto or less than 5 lakhs.
      So it will include all taxable income like Rent, commission etc..

1. CA Sandesh Nikam

Rebate is apply for Total Annual income after deduction under Chapter VIA but before Rebate under Section 87

2. Gurpreet Singh

For taking deducation u/s 87A, Does Total Income means, income calculated after considering deducation u/s 10, 80c, 80d and 80tta ?

Pls. reply on my email id

Regards,

3. c.c.pantola

4. anand prakash arora

For taking deducation u/s 87A, Does Total Income means, income calculated after considering deducation u/s 10, 80c, 80d and 80tta.or only gross income ?

Pls. reply on my email id

Regards,

1. Syed Arif Ali

According the Rebate U/s.87A if the Individual Taxable Income Upto Rs.5 Lakh there are applicable for that benefit.

5. Syed Arif Ali

The Rebate U/s.87A are applicable for taxable income upto the Rs.5 Lakh but how calculate Rebate U/s.87A under the Form.16

6. RAJENDRAN.M

a) The section 87A seeks to provide that an tax payer being an individual, whose total Taxable Income does not exceed 5,00,000/-( After deduction of U/s 10,16,80C and under chapter VI A).

b) Rebate under section 87A – A resident individual (whose net income does not exceed Rs. 5,00,000) can avail rebate under section 87A. It is deductible from income-tax before calculating education cess. The amount of rebate is 100 per cent of income-tax or Rs. 2,000, whichever is less.

Can you clarify me which one of the above statement is correct.

7. anjali mundra

for claiming deduction under section 87A Does Total Income means, income calculated after considering deducation u/s 10, 80c, 80d and 80tta.or only gross income ? and CAN WE CLAIM REBATE U/S 87A OF INCOME TAX IF TAXABLE INCOME UNDER RS. 5 LACS INCLUDING OTHER INCOME (INTEREST, COMMISSION, RENT ETC)

8. VIPIN SHARMA

HOW I CLAIM DEDUCTION U/S 87A WHETHER DEDUCTION U/S 10/ 80C/ CAN BE TAKEN OR NOT ALSO GUIDE ME WHAT DEDUCTIONS COMES UNDER CHAPTER 8 OF INCOME TAX STEP BY STEP. WHETHER 87A ALSO APPLIES FOR BUSINESS CLASS AS A PROPRIETOR. KINDLY CLARIFY ME THROUGH MY E.MAIL ID
    REGARDS VIPIN SHARMA

9. ASHOK KUMAR MEHAN

my gross income is 639000 and after deductintg transport,dhs,rent paid etc of rs. 90000 balance is rs.549000/- and again deducting my savings of tution fee, gpf.lic.pli and insurance taxable income becomes rs. 449000/- is i can avails rebate of rs. 2000/- from my total tax of rs.24900/-

10. Uttam Mukherjee

From my idea about u/s 87A total taxable income means after deducting all deductios (sec10,16,Chapter 6,88 to 80U ) except chapter 8 i,e,retirement beneffits My statement is correct or not

11. R M Jog

Some web sites indicate that deduction of Rs 2,000 from total tax Liability is applicable to persons below 60 years of age and can not be availed by persons in the St Citizen category. Is this true?

12. pandurang naik

let me confirm my income is rs 245000/- and my investment under sec 80c is Rs.20000/- and I don’t have any investment so my taxable income is 25000/- after standard deduction, so rs.2575/- is total tax payable by me so I will get benefit in this rs 2000/- under se 87 a and tax payable is Rs.575/- only please confirm I am right.

13. VISHAL

Kindly advise where to enter rebate u/s 87A in the TDS return. As we are not able to find the column in RPU.

14. LALIT

DEAR SIR,
    KINDLY TELL US HOW TO REFLECT REBATE OF RS 2000/- IN TDS RETURN AS THERE IS NO COLUMN IN TDS RETURN FOR ALLOWING TDS REBATE.
    If taxable salary comes rs 235000/-
    Tds is rs 1500/- after taking rebate of rs 2000/-

if i mentioned this in tds return then default will generate.

kindly advise ….it will be help ful to us.

15. b.sekar

Dear friends. we can thank for the rebate of sec.87-a, given by the Govt, but how can we show in the form 16 or first ofall in the Quarterly return of 24Q to be filed before 15.05.14. As the people who are filing the return are not so familiar with this, they asked my friend to reduced the taxable income to the tune of 20000/-. He did it and filed the same. He got an intimation from the TDS dept, stating interest has to be paid for the short deduction of tds. He is going to remit the interest? where should I show the Rs.2000/- in form 24Q annextures and also in form 16….sekar

16. ANAND SONI

IF MY INCOME IS RS. 255000. AND 80C IS RS. 25000. THEN MY TAX LIBILITY WILL BE RS. 1000 AFTER REBATE OF RS. 2000. REPLY ME

17. vipul shah

net taxable income 261953
    income chargeble for special rates – short term capital gain rs.4952
    total income rs.266905
    gross tax on 261953 – normal rate rs.1195
    gross tax on 4952 – special rate rs.743
    total tax rs.1938
    cliam tax rebate u/s 87a rs.1938 or 1195
    tax payable rs. nil or 743
    pl give answer total income of individual resident india below 5 lacs income including short term capital gain are availed benefits of sec.87a Rs.2000

18. Rekha Gupta

whether refund can be claimed for SAT paid in case of default made in taking the rebate u/s 87 A pls reply

19. Dr.B.S.Bakshi

What format “certificate of payment received by landlord” is required for availing rebate under 87A by an individual pensioner

20. Nagaraj T V

11-07-2014
    Sir, Please clarify on the following:-

Deductions under section 80C (under chapter VI) – Rs.1,00,000/- (cap)
    What does chapter VII cover? _ what are the sections thereunder?
    What are the deductions under chapter VIII – what are the sections thereunder?

1. Nagaraj T V

11-07-2014
      Sir, Kindly clarify this doubt:-

My son and myself have jointly availed housing loan for Rs.20,00,000/-
      We both are co-borrowers of the housing loan.
      1) I am a pensioner.
      2) My son is an employee.
      3) House property is in my name – sale deed is in my name.
      4) My son pays all the instalment (e.m.i.) from his monthly salary.
      5) I do not repay housing loan from my pension.
      The doubt:- Is my son eligible to 100 per cent tax deduction for
      – paying interest on housing loan
      – and for paying housing loan.
      That is house property is mine but my son repays housing loan
      for having constructed I floor over the house.

If there is any problem with this, how to ensure that my son gets
      full benefit in order to reduce tax liability.
      My son pays around Rs.2,50,000/- per annum from his total salary.

Please clarify.

21. Mrs Elvis Mary

Hello everyone!!!
    My name is MRS BLESSING MONI A CITIZEN of USA. i have been scammed by 3 different Internet international lender, they all promise to give me a loan after making me pay several fees which yield nothing and amounted to no positive result. i lost my hard earn money and it was a total of 5,000USD. One day as i was browsing through the internet with tears on my eye i came across a testimony of man who was also scammed and eventually got linked to a legit loan company called LEWIS HARRY FINANCIAL SERVICES LOAN COMPANY where he finally got his loan, so i decided to contact the same loan company and then told them my story on how i have been scammed by 3 different loan company, l made the right choice of contacting them. i filled the loan application form and proceeded, I explain to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because i will get my loan in their company and also made that which was requested of me and I was given a loan amount of $125,000 Dollars by this great Company (LEWIS HARRY FINANCIAL SERVICES LOAN COMPANY } managed by Mr.LEWIS HARRY and here i am today happy because LEWIS HARRY FINANCIAL SERVICES LOAN COMPANY has given me a loan so i made a vow to my self that i will keep testifying on the internet on how i got my loan. Do you need a loan urgently kindly and quickly contact LEWIS HARRY FINANCIAL SERVICES LOAN COMPANY now for your loan via Email:
    lewisharry_lending@hotmail.com Thank You All For Your Understanding.

22. Arobindra Saikia

Hello
    my gross income is 707226.00 before any deduction. may I be able to get rebate Rs 2000/- under sec 87A of income tax act.

23. Arobindra Saikia

my gross income is 707226.00 before any deduction. after all deduction income becomes 535582.00. may I be able to get rebate Rs 2000/- under sec 87A of income tax act.