The Certificate for lower or no deduction of tax from salary is to be provided by the Assessee Officer on basis of application made by the deductee or employee. If Assessee Officer has issued such a certificate of lower or no deduction of tax to the employee, the deductor has to mention only whether no tax has been deducted or tax has been deducted at lower rate on basis of such certificate.
How many times can I furnish a correction TDS/TCS statement?
What are the relevant points to be kept in mind while preparing correction return more than once on the same regular return?
One has to keep in mind, the following points while preparing correction return more than once on the same regular return:
1. The TDS/TCS return on which correction is to be prepared should be updated with all details as per all previous corrections.
2. Modifications/addition/nullify in correction returns accepted at the TIN central system only should be considered.
Which Provisional Receipt Number / Token Number should I quote while preparing correction return more than once on the same regular return?
There are two fields for Provisional Receipt Number (PRN) / Token Number in a correction return mentioned below :
1. Original Provisional Receipt Number / Token Number – PRN of the regular return should be mentioned in this field.
2. Previous Provisional Receipt Number / Token Number – PRN of the last accepted correction return should be mentioned in this field. If the value in this field is incorrectly mentioned, the return will be rejected at TIN central system for the reason: Either Previous Provisional Receipt No. provided is incorrect or combination of Original Provisional Receipt Number / Token Number and Previous Provisional Receipt Number / Token Number is not in sequence
Following are the common reasons for rejecting a correction statement:
- TAN is not valid as per data at TDSCPC
- Statement corresponding to regular token number / previous token number field, as given in correction return, does not exist
- Previous token number does not correspond to the last accepted correction statement at TDSCPC
- Correction is filed for a regular return which is in cancelled state
- In a correction statement, below are the verification keys which should match with the corresponding fields of regular statement :
- RRR assessment year
- Return Financial Year
- Previous Token number
- Last TAN of Deductor
- Receipt number of Original / Regular Return
- Form number
- Sum given in 27A form should match with the sum of deducted amount of deductee records given in the correction statement
The procedure for requesting Form 16 from TRACES website has been given below:
From FY:18-19 onwards, the Income Tax department is now providing both Part A and Part B of Form 16 (TDS certificate for employee)
The steps for requesting Form 16 are:
- Login to TRACES after giving User ID, Password, TAN of the Deductor and CAPTCHA code
- Check statement status under Statement/Payment option before requesting for Form 16
- Click on Form 16 available under Downloads option
- Request for Form 16 through Search PAN download or Bulk PAN downloads option
- Click on Submit to proceed
- Give Token Number of Regular Statement related to Financial year, Quarter and Form type displayed
- Fill CIN/valid PAN details related to Financial year, Quarter and Form type displayed on basis of latest correction filed
- An authentication code will be generated after giving correct KYC details
- A unique Request number will be generated after submission of request for Form 16
- Go to Requested Download option and Form 16 will be available there
- Form 16 can be downloaded using HTTP download or Download Manager option
- Now convert Form 16 into PDF
To convert Part A of Form 16 into PDF deductor can download Form 16 PDF Converter Utility 1.4 L
To convert Part B of Form 16 into PDF deductor can download TRACES-PDF-CONVERTER V 1.1L (PART B)
Rather than going through the above mentioned steps, deductors can easily download TDS certificate from the TRACES website using TDSMAN software. The software is fully integrated with TRACES and helps downloading of TDS certificate from the software itself.
The steps for requesting Form 16 from TDSMAN Software are mentioned below:
- Go to TRACES Information and click on Request for Form 16 and click on Request
- Then go to Download Requested Files
- Give TRACES log in id and password and enter CAPTCHA code
- Both Form 16 Part A and Part B will be available to download
- Now convert Part A and Part B Zip files to PDF.
To convert Part A to PDF go to Downloads section of TDSMAN Website and then click on download beside Latest PDF Converter Utility to generate TDS Certificate provided by TRACES department
To convert Part B to PDF go to Downloads section of TDSMAN Website and then click on download beside PDF Converter Utility to generate TDS Certificate – Part B option provided by TRACES department.